I've been rereading The Shining by Stephen King, and I haven't finished it yet, so there may have to be a Pt. II to this post—but for some reason I started thinking about all the things The Shining and Ghostbusters have in common.*
So!—in no order [SPOILER ALERT, SPOILER ALERT]:
1. I make it a rule never to get involved with possessed people.
Shining: "Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance."
Ghostbusters: "There is no Dana, only Zuul!"
2. Tell him about the Twinkie.
Relatively benign set-up: Danny has a sixth sense; the Ghostbusters can catch ghosts.
Thrown into a terrible situation: Danny goes to a place overflowing with evil psychic energy; the Ghostbusters go up against a god.
3. Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma...
Shining: Jack gets his job at the Overlook after being fired from his job as a schoolteacher.
Ghostbusters: Egon, Ray, and Venkman start the Ghostbusters after being fired from their jobs as university professors.
4. The architect's name was Evo Shandor...
Shining: The Overlook Hotel turns out to have a secret evil core and transforms Jack Torrance into a monster who does the hotel's bidding.
Ghostbusters: Dana's Central Park West apartment building turns out to have a secret evil purpose and transforms Dana and her neighbor into its Gatekeeper and Keymaster.
5. OK, who brought the dog?
Shining: The hedge animals come to life and chase Danny Torrance.
Ghostbusters: The gargoyles come to life and chase Louis Tully.
6. I have seen shit that would turn you white!
Shining: Danny sees a blood stain on the wall of the Presidential Suite.
Ghostbusters: The walls in the 53rd Precinct were bleeding.
7. Nice thinkin', Ray.
Shining: Hallorann tells Danny, "I don't think those things can hurt anybody"; later, Danny is chased and throttled by a dead woman.
Ghostbusters: Ray tells Venkman, "Don't move! It won't hurt you!"; almost immediately afterwards, the Class 5 Full-Roaming Vapor attacks Venkman and slimes him.
8. The owners don't like us to even talk about it!
Shining: Overlook, Room 217
Ghostbusters: Sedgewick, 12th floor
9. No kiss...?
Shining (film): "Here's Johnny!"
Ghostbusters: "You don't act like a scientist... You're more like a game-show host."
10. I saw it, I saw it, I saw it!
* As in the case of my popular discussion of Fight Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off (most-read Alt85 post, by far, last I checked), I must emphasize that I do not think there's any meaning to these connections—i.e./e.g., I'm not suggesting that the makers of Ghostbusters were trying to say anything about The Shining or that Stanley Kubrick or Stephen King had access to a time machine or anything—I just think the shit is funny.